A family law attorney is more than just a divorce lawyer. There are many other areas of law that are under the auspices of family law. In addition to issues that arise during divorce proceedings, the firm can assist you with any of the following:
- Child abuse
- Domestic abuse
- Grandparents’ rights
- Modification of court orders
- Prenuptial agreements
- Protective orders
- Same-sex divorce
- Termination of parental rights
Attorney Iris Joan Finsliver: An Experienced Divorce Attorney
Going through a divorce has been ranked as one of the most stressful life events. This is true even when both parties agree it is in their best interest to part. When children are involved, the stress is compounded. Attorney Finsilver helps you through the process in a way to minimize the stress and help you get to the other side in the most amicable way possible.
Courts encourage couples to make as many decisions together as they can without court intervention. Issues that must be resolved include:
- Division of assets: California is a community property state. That means assets that were acquired together during the course of the marriage are considered marital property and are divided equally between the parties. There may be separate property that each owned prior to the marriage. Proceeds of a personal injury lawsuit paid to one party who was injured is separate property. Inheritances by one spouse is the separate property of that spouse. Separate property is not divided.
- Child custody and visitation: Courts particularly encourage parents to work together to establish a parenting plan. If this is not possible, the court will hold a hearing. After considering all the evidence presented by each side, the court will make custody and visitation orders based on what the court determines is in the best interest of the children.
- Child support: Both parents are expected to provide for the financial needs of their children. In most situations, the parent who is awarded custody of the children receives support from the noncustodial parent.
Contact the Law Offices of Iris Joan Finsilver
At the Law Offices of Iris Joan Finsilver, we recognize that each case is unique. We will work with you to achieve your goals and for the best possible outcome. Our office is in Palm Desert, California and we serve all those in the surrounding areas. Contact us as soon as possible at (760) 568-4661.